The laboratory since its inception functioned under various governments as mentioned below:
1933 – CID Scientific Section, Lahore:
The Central Forensic Science Laboratory, Chandigarh started as CID Scientific Section, in 1933, under the Police Department of United Punjab inLahore. This Scientific Section continued to function there till it was shifted to Phillaur (Punjab) in 1947.
1961 – FSL Punjab, Chandigarh:
It received major uplift when it was converted into a full-fledged Forensic Science Laboratory of erstwhile Punjab at Chandigarh in 1961.
1966 – FSL Union Territory of Chandigarh:
The Laboratory was taken over by the Union Territory, Chandigarh in 1966 and housed in the Government Book Depot Building at Sector 18-A, Chandigarh.
1978 – CFSL, BPR&D, Govt. of India:
After taking over its control on July 01, 1978, under Bureau of Police Research & Development, Government of India renamed it as Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), Chandigarh. In order to expand its capabilities and infrastructure, Laboratory was relocated in 1996 to its present position at Plot No. 2, Sector–36 A, Dakshin Marg, Chandigarh – 160036.
2002 – Directorate of Forensic Science:
It became part of newly formed Directorate of Forensic Sciences (DFS), Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India, New Delhi w.e.f. 31.12.2002. In 1997, Govt. of India, Ministry of Home Affairs declared the laboratory as a Center of Excellence in Physical Sciences. This is now renamed as "Directorate of Forensic Science Services (DFSS)” by MHA, GoI.